Crusader Publishing Forum
November 24, 2017, 04:34:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
There are still a lot of automated spam accounts being created so can people please register for the forum and then email me details of the user name, password and email address that they registered with.  Please note that you need to register FIRST and then email me to authorise the registration. 

Email to Mark'at'Crusaderpublishing.com (please replace the 'at' with '@' - yes, I get lots of spam emails too!)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Balance of Power Rules Questions  (Read 670 times)
MWL435

View Profile Email
« on: December 26, 2016, 07:56:53 PM »

Greetings,

I am in the process of returning to miniature gaming.  Just picked up a copy of your Balance of Powers rules.  I haven't played them (even solo) yet as I am remounting figures to accommodate the game's standard - alas, Guard du Corps and Empire III seem to have fallen out of favor!  I have, however, been reading through the rules and have identified a few questions.

Napoleonic Period:

Most cavalry carried carbines (or if carbines are on the models).  Does the following apply:

Cavalry not in contact fires as Infantry/Artillery

Cavalry receiving a cavalry charge may fire at the charging unit.

Obviously, the firing cavalry would use the carbine range and if shooting at cavalry, the fire is halved.

American Civil War:

Some Confederate cavalry carried shotguns instead of carbines.  I assume this fire is resolved as carbine.

Much of the time, Union and Confederate fought as Mounted Infantry, does cavalry move/shoot as horse artillery?  i.e. move half, reform (dismount) and then fire?

When dismounted, is cavalry considered a cavalry target or an infantry target?

I assume infantry may charge dismounted cavalry.

May dismounted cavalry enter a BUA?

I appreciate the designer of the system taking the time answer questions regarding the rules. Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Mike L.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 08:00:42 PM by MWL435 » Logged
Crusaderminis
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 12:11:58 PM »

Hi there,

For the Napoleonic period no cavalry fire is allowed while mounted under any circumstances.  The units represent formed regiments and squadrons and is far above the skirmish level where mounted carbine fire might apply.  This counts for any period that the rules cover and things like ACW shotgun would be factored in to the close combat results.

Any dismounted cavalry unit will act as infantry and follow all of the usual infantry rules and restrictions.  Depending on the period and troop quality their skirmish ability may differ depending on how the troops are used and deployed.

MWL435

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 04:37:46 AM »

Sir,

Thank you.

One follow up.  For ACW, would it be out of bounds to treat mounted Cav as Horse Arty - to move half reform (dismount) and fire?

Regards,
Mike
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: