Crusader Publishing Forum
December 18, 2017, 03:19:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
There are still a lot of automated spam accounts being created so can people please register for the forum and then email me details of the user name, password and email address that they registered with.  Please note that you need to register FIRST and then email me to authorise the registration. 

Email to Mark'at'Crusaderpublishing.com (please replace the 'at' with '@' - yes, I get lots of spam emails too!)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Back at March Attack!  (Read 71 times)
CATenWolde

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2017, 08:25:32 PM »

Hi,

After a few years preoccupied by other projects (ACW and Late Roman / Arthurians), I recently introduced a new gaming friend to March Attack, and we've decided to dive in with a new 6mm project for next year. I've always thought that these were excellent rules, and it will be good to be playing again.

A couple of questions!

1. My friend was looking for an option to buy a print version of the rules - are they sold out?

2. The only issue that came up for my friend is an old one with MA - discomfort with the idea of the "automatic hit" for every 6 CV. Has there been an accepted way to get around this? My thought was just to roll a die for every 6CV anyway, and on a 6 roll a second die, with a 1-3 indicating a hit and a 4-6 indicating a miss. Thoughts?

Cheers,

Christopher

Crusaderminis
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 07:37:48 AM »

I don't sell the rules directly, there should still be printed copies available.  If he gets in touch with Northstar in the UK they should be able to give him a list of suppliers in a particular country that stocks them.

http://www.northstarfigures.com/contact.php

Alternatively Lulu do Print on Demand copies (B&W only though because of the cost)

https://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=mark+sims&type=

As for the auto hit, the simplest alternative is to say that a 6 will always miss.  I've used this in Balance of Power which uses a lot of the same ideas but simplified.  It saves a second die roll but slightly penalizes the higher CV troops over the lower.  Your 50/50 option is just as sound and obviously closer to the original idea if you dont mind the extra rolls.

Nice to hear you thought the rules were worth coming back to  Smiley
CATenWolde

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 07:09:11 PM »

Hi Mark,

Thanks, I'll pass along those links.

After the game, I remembered that I was also experimenting with a "smoke" modifier when we were playing a few years back. Pretty simple - mark a firing unit with smoke (for aesthetic effect as well), and it receives a -1 for firing until it spends a turn not firing to clear the smoke (not including canister defensive fire).

Even though I was playing other periods, I've always recommended MA to people. It's an unsung gem in my opinion. Since I know that I have MA that can handle battalion level maneuvers with a corps per player, my equation for other Napoleonic rules is now: 1) if it is more detailed, does the level of interesting and relevant detail make it worth slowing down play and scaling down to larger actions? Or, 2) if it is less detailed, which usually means playing with brigades instead of battalions, does the speed of play make it worthwhile?

Cheers,

Christopher
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: