Rank and File are a set of horse and musket rules that cover the period from 1740 through to 1900. The basic game mechanics are designed to be simple and easy to learn with the aim of being able to play large games within a reasonable time frame.
While the game itself is easy to pick up there are extensive optional and advanced rules as well as period specific rules that allow the game to cater for all tastes as well as being flexible enough to cope with lots of game sizes, scales, figure availability and numbers of players.
While the basic D6 mechanics make Rank and File a 'fast play' system that doesn't mean that important areas of the rules are glossed over or omitted.
- Army and force break points mean that battles do not end up with 2 units chasing each other about the field.
- Variable commander quality allows you to represent differing abilities of command and charisma.
- Troop quality ranging from Green to Elite.
- March movement allows troops to come into action speedily when committed rather than plodding across the battlefield.
- Unit cohesion means that troops fighting ability and morale decreases before they will finally break.
- Period specific formation, weapon and manoeuvre restrictions.
- Variable game scales allow units to represent anything from battalion to brigade strength.
Figures are based in stands but the rules allow you to play with any basing convention so there is no re-basing necessary.
- Further optional rules that include Elephants, Camels, opportunity and counter charges, messengers, ammunition, shock troops, cavalry breakthrough and many others.
Rank and File provide an easy to learn, flexible system for fighting battles throughout the Horse & Musket period. Use the basic rules for a fast play system or add in the optional and advanced rules for more depth and realism.
Rank and File are presented as both a full colour, perfect bound, 68 page A4 book and also as a downloadable PDF.
An excellent overview of the game mechanics can be found on the following blog. wargaming in 28 mm and sometimes smaller
Rank & File Downloads
|Fast play sheet for the Rank & File Rules
2 A4 pages that can be downloaded, stuck back to back and laminated. For those that don't want to cut pages out of their rulebooks!Download: R&F Fast play sheet (pdf)
|Rank and File Points System
A points sytem for the Rank and File Horse & Musket rules. 2 page PDFDownload: R&F Points System (pdf)
|Rank and File sample chapter
One of the chapters from the Rank and File rules showing the design and layout as well as an overview of how the rules work.Download: R&F sample chapter (pdf)
|Rank & File Optional Rules Supplement 1
Covering waiver tests, impetuous infantry and blown cavalry. 2 page PDFDownload: R&F Optional Rules Supplement 1 (pdf)
|Rank & File Optional Rules Supplement 2
Covering Wave Attacks, Buck & Ball, Pass Through morale tests. 5 page PDFDownload: R&F Optional Rules Supplement 2 (pdf)
|Rank & File Optional Rules Supplement 3
Covering Grand Batteries, Lancers, Rockets. Optional rules for firing at chargers, turing to face flank and rear charges, skirmishers vs cavalry, small arms fire vs deep formations. 3 page PDFDownload: R&F Optional Rules Supplement 3 (pdf)
|Rank & File American Civil War Sample
A six page sample of the contents of the ACW supplement for the Rank and File rules.Download: American Civil War Sample (pdf)
Rank & File Battle Reports
|Rank & File Battle Reports
Click on the link below to be taken to the Rank and File battle reports page.